Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Rantings of a Dance Teacher

Lately there have been somethings about my job that have just driven me absolutely crazy and I need to just rant about them for a little bit. Please keep in mind that I really do LOVE my job and I LOVE my students! They are all so cute and so sweet! But no job is perfect so here are my ramblings.

1. Students being late to class. When did this become acceptable?? And usually it's because they are changing their clothes. Have they never thought to wear their ballet clothes underneath their other dance clothes? I don't care that it's hot! I did it growing up so I know it really isn't that bad. Besides that, you are dancers, quick changes are a part of life! It does not take 10 minutes to change your clothes. It should take 2 minutes tops. Also, believe it or not, I am actually very lenient on letting you into class late. My policy is that if they are more than 15 minutes late, they don't dance. That is for THEIR safety. If they aren't properly warm, they are more likely to get injured. Yes I understand that sometimes they get out of school 15 minutes before class starts. That's why I am extremely lenient. My teacher wouldn't let you take class if you were 30 seconds late! I remember having to wear my ballet clothes underneath my school clothes with my hair in a bun so that I was ready to go. And my mom would have a snack for me in the car. It can be done people!! Good heavens, be on time! And don't be upset if you have to sit out of class. It is for your safety!!!!

2. Stretching. Oh dancers and their stretching. Basically I am the queen of stretching. It is my all time favorite thing to do in class. However, what I don't understand is why students feel the need to stretch in order to stretch... I seriously get this all the time. I'll say that it's time to stretch and they will say "I'm not stretched!" I just look at them and say "That's why we're stretching..." We stretch so that you can get stretched. You don't have to stretch in order to stretch. You need to be warm in order to stretch. Which leads me to my other grievance about stretching. PLEASE warm yourself up before you stretch!!!!! You are putting yourself in a very dangerous situation if you are not warm before you drop down into your splits. Also what I don't understand is how can you possibly not be warm after doing a full barre??? No joke. I was explaining to my students why we stretch after barre, because they need to be warm before they stretch. Then I told them to get into their stretch. I had a couple students say that they weren't warm. I could not believe it!! They just did a full barre! What were you doing for the last 45 minutes??? I just told them that meant that they didn't work hard enough. They didn't believe me... Which leads me to...

3. Don't argue with me! I am the teacher, you are the student. What happened to RESPECT???? I have literally had students telling me that I was wrong in class. Little 10 year olds! Mostly about the stretching thing. Maybe I should have them read the 10 page paper I wrote about the topic that several of my professors think I should publish. I promise I have done my research. However, I am not a proud person. I will admit if I don't know something and I will admit if I was wrong. But whatever the case may be, don't argue with your teacher. If you disagree or have a question, I am more than willing to discuss it with you after class.

4. Complaining. Why do students think that if they complain I'm not going to make them do it? If anything, that makes me want you do it even more. I have some classes that just have to tell me that everything hurts. I know. It's ballet. Ballet hurts. The best is when they say "Well then why don't you do it??" I just say "I have. For 20 years." Oh brother! Here's then thing. I really don't care that something hurts. I care if you have an injury. Please, please, please tell me before class if you have an injury!!! I do not want to injure you further. But please, please, please don't tell me that something hurts. I know it does. I do not need 20 of you telling me.

5. Tilts. There is nothing more disgusting in the entire world than what has happened to tilts. This is for the teachers. Can we please not teach tilts incorrectly??? This whole turned in leg, butt sticking out, crotch to the audience thing must go!! It screams bad technique all over the place!! A tilt is a battement in second with your body tilted over. Yes this is harder to do. Welcome to dance! Dance is hard! But I know from personal experience that students can do this! Sure they don't all look the same, but at least they are doing it right! I was teaching my students last night who have not been corrupted by other sources how to do tilts properly. It was so great!! Most of them this is their first year of dance so they don't look super great doing it yet, but at least they had proper technique. Turn out, butts in line, no crotch shots. It was beautiful!!

Ok. That's all my rantings for now. Like I said before, I promise that I LOVE my job and my students. I think that if I didn't love them them so much then I really wouldn't care about all these things. I want to help them become the best dancers and people possible. It is the most rewarding thing in the world when I see my students succeed in the classroom and when parents tell me that they can see their kids blossoming as people as well. Literally brings me to tears. I love my job. I love my students. I am so privileged to be able to work these young children everyday. They are absolutely incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment